We’re very excited to announce that we’ll be performing at the 2018 Canadian Folk Music Awards in Calgary this November. […]
We’re very excited to be nominated for “Instrumental Group of the Year” at the 2018 Canadian Folk Music Awards! The […]
We’re very excited to be nominated for “World Artist of the Year” at the Western Canadian Music Awards! The awards […]
"Deserving of a front and center stage position for sure."
"“The Bridge” is a superb album and a worthy successor to the band’s debut, not to mention additional confirmation that this is a group of truly gifted musicians who are doing something very special here. We cannot wait to hear this new material live and, speaking from personal experience, we know that the live versions will be tremendous. Highly recommended."
"West of Mabou were a delight to behold, and we only hope that they receive an invitation to return (to Celtic Classic) next year. With such mastery of this genre, many more of us here on the Eastern Seaboard would crave such an opportunity to enjoy live music from this band."
Western Canada’s “West of Mabou” taps into their strong Scottish, Irish, and Cape Breton roots to deliver a unique brand of high-energy, traditional music with a contemporary flare.
Two albums in- the latest was released in May of 2018- the band’s combination of traditional and original fiddle and pipe tunes has earned them a nomination for Instrumental Group of the Year at the 2018 Canadian Folk Awards, and a nomination for World Artist of the Year at the 2018 Western Canadian Music Awards. The band was also named as one of the Irish and Celtic Music Podcast’s “Top Bands of 2017.”
The band’s latest album, “The Bridge”, was produced by master Cape Breton musician, Wendy MacIsaac. The album reached #3 on the iTunes Canada World Music Charts, and has received radio play on 4 continents.
West of Mabou unites the talents of Scott Benson (fiddle), Jared Dormer (percussion), Justin Easton (guitar/bass), Alex Rasmussen (pipes/whistles), and Roberta Wallace (fiddle). Each of the band members is an experienced performer in their own right, having performed at venues around the world. Alex has competed several times at the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow, and is an active member of the City of Regina Pipe Band. Scott and Jared have performed at JUNOfest, the Western Canadian Music Awards, Canada Cup of Curling, and the Ford World Men’s Curling Championships. Justin and Roberta performed extensively as a duo, and have taught at fiddle and guitar camps, competitions, and schools across North America.
With a strong respect for tradition and a unique contemporary style, West of Mabou continues to charm audiences with their impossible-to-sit-still tempos and their ability to fold Celtic sounds with modern inflections into a recipe for dance.
"If West Of Mabou's self titled album doesn't get you chair dancing, frankly the grey suit beckons." -Fatea Magazine
- 2018 Canadian Folk Music Award Nomination (Instrumental Group of the Year)
- 2018 Western Canadian Music Award Nomination (World Artist of the Year)
- Top bands of 2017, Irish & Celtic Music Podcast, Austin, USA
- CBC Saskatchewan 2017 Artists to Watch, Regina, Canada
- Peaked at #3 on the iTunes Canada World Music Chart
- Debuted at #7 on the National Folk/Roots/Blues Chart
- Peaked at #1 on the CFBX (Kamloops, BC) Folk/Roots/Blues Chart
- Celtic Music Radio, Glasgow, UK
- Maui Celtic Radio Show, Maui, USA
- Readifolk Radio Show, Reading, UK
- Album of the Week, Blues and Roots Worldwide Radio Network
- Kitchen Party Ceilidh, Indianapolis, USA
- SchottenRadio, Spall, Germany
- Highland Fling, The Hawk 101.5, Port Hawkesbury, Canada
- The Celticset Radio Show, Hebrides, UK
- Canadian Folk Music Awards, Calgary, Canada
- Celtic Classic, Bethlehem, USA
- Organization of Saskatchewan Arts Councils Showcase, Regina, Canada
- Arts Touring of Alberta Showcase, Edmonton, Canada
- National Music Centre, Calgary, Canada
- Saskatchewan Special Olympics Opening Ceremonies- Moose Jaw, Canada
- Saskatoon Folk Festival- Saskatoon, Canada
- Mid-Winter Celtic Festival- Regina, Canada
- Saskatchewan Highland Games- Regina, Canada
- Edmonton Pipers' Club- Edmonton, Canada
- Canadian Forces Base Wainwright- Wainwright, Canada
- All Folk'd Up Music Festival- Montmartre, Canada
- Craik Music Festival- Craik, Canada
- Mosaic Music Festival- Regina, Canada
- Cathedral Village Arts Festival- Regina, Canada
Press/TechStage Plot and Input List
ContactFor booking and inquiries please contact:
info [at] westofmabou.ca